- This event has passed.
Study Group: What is Socialist Feminism?
February 18 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm EST
This is a socialist feminist reading group open to women, non-binary people, and femme-identifying folks in Atlanta. Our goal is to explore the interconnectedness of gender, sexuality, reproduction, both paid and unpaid labor, race, and class from an explicitly socialist-feminist standpoint.
Our first study group meeting will explore the question — “What Is Socialist Feminism?” Continue below for this unit’s reading list & important meeting logistics info (dates/location/parking/virtual attendance/potluck!)
- “Aren’t Socialism and Feminism Sometimes in Conflict?” (2016) by Nicole Aschoff in the ABC’s of Socialism – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B8QLCTSn_yVpq4sKke-KSwR1x0XDIr1_/view?usp=sharing
- “Materialism and Feminism: An Interview with Johanna Brenner” (2017) – http://salvage.zone/online-exclusive/materialism-and-feminism-an-interview-with-johanna-brenner/
- “Bread and Roses: International Manifesto” (2017) by Pan y Rosas – http://www.leftvoice.org/Bread-and-Roses-International-Manifesto
- Recommended: “What Is Socialist Feminism?” Barbara Ehrenreich (1976) – https://www.marxists.org/subject/women/authors/ehrenreich-barbara/socialist-feminism.htm
- To accommodate a diversity of schedules, we will be meeting on a weeknight (Feb 19, 7pm) and a weekend afternoon (March 3, 2pm). Discussion topics will be the same for both dates, so there’s no pressure to attend both.
- We will be holding our discussions at the American Friends Service Committee office, which is located a short walk from the Five Points MARTA Station. Street parking is free during the times we are meeting. The meeting room is on the fifth floor with an accessible entrance. Please try to arrive on time. We will have someone on ‘door duty’ to let folks in until 7:15pm / 2:15pm. If no one is at the door, call (304) 506-3809 and we will send someone down to let you in.
- For folks unable to attend in person, we will share a zoom meeting link that will allow you to join the discussion virtually.
- This is an optional potluck! Bring a snack to share if you are able, but don’t let that stop you from coming. 🙂
(You need to request to join our FB group to view/RSVP for this event: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1968006006839093/)
Subscribe to these events with this ical feed.